Sunday, September 8, 2013

Blog Assignment #3 Peer Editing

What is Peer Editing?

Peer editing is when a group of like individuals are assigned the task of critiquing each other's writings. The editing is done by complimenting, suggesting and correcting with a positive attitude. While editing your peers work, you should look for the positives, make sure there is clarity and check for grammatical or spelling errors. If you are still unsure about what to check for, I suggest that you watch the slideshow,peer edit w/perfection tutorial


Top Ten Peer Editing Mistakes

After watching the video top ten peer editing mistakes, I learned quite a few things about what not to do when critiquing my peers. . So, Let's start off by listing some things that you should or should not do when you are the editor. First of all, put your self in the other person's shoes.Begin your peer editing with a compliment. I mean wouldn't you want someone to compliment you before they start critiquing you? Don't be too picky, pushy or loud. Don't speed through the process. Show that you care about their work. Stay on the topic .Be specific when making suggestions. Give your peer your undivided attention. In other words, this is not a time to be sociable.. I also learned how to react when one of my peers is critiquing me. First of all, I will not take it personally. I will acknowledge any mistakes that may have been pointed out, but most importantly, I will stay positive.

Will you offer suggestions publicly blog or privately e-mail?

I would say that I would utilize both ways to offer suggestions depending on the subject matter that  I will be addressing. For example, if the student had a lot of grammatical errors and misspelled words, then I would do it privately by e-mail because it could be a case where the person is dyslexic. I would make suggestions by public blog if it was something like their word choice or organization of the content so that other people who may have trouble in those areas  can benefit from the suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy,
    I liked reading your post, I like people reading over my work and critiquing it. I think that peer review is a great thing to introduce to students. I like that students are able to read each others work and are taught to be respectable, when offering suggestions. Also Tracy, remember to check your work before submitting it. Some of your words needed spaces between them.

    ReplyDelete